Friday, February 27, 2009

FAFSA - what a pain!

I'm happy to report that Eric has made some plans for his future. He is in the process of applying at Grand Valley State University to finish a bachelor's degree in nursing. Most of his credits from GRCC will transfer, but it will still take 3 years to finish.

Part of the process involves filling out the dreaded FAFSA form for financial aid. Though he doesn't really expect to get any grants or scholarships, it's a requirement for student loans, too. Problem is the deadline for Michigan is March 1st. Yep, Sunday. (though I'm wondering if the next business day is still acceptable.)

So...in order to complete a FAFSA, you need to have your taxes done, or at least far enough to know income, etc. I did NOT want to get into those yet...since we usually end up owing taxes every year. So just did enough to get the info, Eric did the same, then we went online and started the process.

All went relatively well until the end. It wouldn't accept the PIN from me for electronic signature. Turns out I had been issued a PIN in January of 2003...6 years ago. That was the one and only time we filed a FAFSA, for Scott. Didn't do us (or him) any good so we never bothered to file it again. No way do I remember that PIN number. So filed for a duplicate. They gave me one. Then when I tried to use that one, said it had to process it with Social Security and to try again in 1-2 business days. We don't have 1-2 business days. So the other option is to file without the signature which will delay it in the system.

Decided to try tomorrow with the PIN again, then file without signature if we have to. Frustrating!

But I am very happy that Eric has finally made some decisions regarding his future plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment