Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Beary Good Time


For those that aren't in the know, I attended an advanced Boy Scout training course called Wood Badge in 2002. The course is six intensive full days spread out over two weekends. After you complete the course, you must complete five "tickets" that are major projects to benefit scouting, yourself, or your work. I completed the tickets and earned my two beads in early 2004. I earned a third bead by serving as a troop guide for course C-16-07 in 2007. My patrol, the Bears, adopted me as their "Mama Bear" even though my own course's critter were the Bobwhites.


Three out of the six members of the Bear patrol earned their two beads in 2008. Two of the remaining three, along with twelve other course participants, were awarded their beads in a "mega-beading" ceremony this afternoon at our scout offices in Grand Rapids. I had been the ticket counselor for two of the other twelve as well.


There were probably more Wood Badge scouters at this event than there were at the last Wood Badge Reunion! It was great to see so many of my scouting friends in the same place for the same purpose. We had a great ceremony, then refreshments afterwards.


At the end of the afternoon, we were privileged to hear a short bagpipes "concert" by the sixth member of the Bear patrol, who needed to demonstrate his proficiency to complete his last ticket item. Now all six Bears have earned their beads!


We adjourned to Vickie's house where we had a champagne toast (sparkling grape juice for the non-drinkers among us) and chocolate dipped strawberries and had a bear gathering that lasted until 9 p.m.


A wonderful way to spend the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment