Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's past time to get back to my favorite pastime!

Since January 5th, I've only found ONE geocache (and attended an event) up until today. Why? A combination of bad weather, bad roads, and full days of work, mostly.

Yesterday and today were our winter retreat days at work. Usually we leave and stay overnight elsewhere, but stayed at our regular location this time around. We were done at 5 p.m., and I usually work until 6 p.m. on Tuesdays. Hmmm, a good 45 minutes of daylight left. Clear roads, decent weather for January anyway. No question about it, I'm a goin' caching! There are plenty of 1-1 caches around just begging for a quick find. (1-1 means easy to find, easy terrain. Basically one you can drive up to.)

First cache. Parked in front of the correct lightpole, followed the short geotrail, lifted the lightpole skirt, and voila! Took the film canister back to the car, signed the log, and quickly returned the cache. Went up the street to a cache that I had tried to find a few weeks ago. I had read the logs when I posted the DNF, and had a hunch where I hadn't looked. The hunch proved right as I quickly found cache #2. Checked my GPS for closest cache, there was one .2 miles away that I'd forgotten about. Went to that one, again followed the geo-trail and made the easy find. Stopped for my last of 4, found the container after a short search. GPS screen switched to night-time mode just as I made the find. 45 minutes from work to last find. Sweet. I'm up to 1438 finds now in 3 1/2 years of geocaching. I would really love to hit my next milestone, 1500 caches, in London or Paris. Will have to pace myself accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment