Monday, June 8, 2009

Two generations of stubbornness Part 2 (aka Eric's baptismal weekend)

My previous post dealt with my being in the middle between Eric and Steve who didn't want to talk directly with each other about Eric's baptism. I had decided not to bring it up any more. Eric went to a friend's house on Saturday afternoon, planning to go to the church from there. So about 5:15, as I folded the last load of laundry, Steve came in from the garage.

"What is Eric doing tonight?" They're having a potluck dinner for him at their fellowship hall, then he goes to the church and gives his testimony. "Does he want me there?" I told him (Steve) how I felt about being in the middle of this. I said I'm planning to go change and leave for the potluck. Left him to decide whether or not he wanted to go. After a couple of changes of mind back and forth, he finally decided to go. I think Eric was glad to see us both, but what an unnecessary ordeal between the two of them...

The potluck dinner was wonderful. Good food, and great knowing that Eric has a church family that cares for him so much. We sat with him at a table mostly full of other young men, some from his church and some that had come from a church near Detroit for the weekend. Then to the church. Eric sat up front, in the first pew, with a microphone in front of him. The minister asked questions and Eric answered them beautiful. A blessing for me to hear what I knew was in his heart, especially his description of the spiritual journey that he took to get to where he is now. It was even more of a struggle for him than I realized. And it was good for Steve to hear that as well. If Steve could just let go and let God handle things he would have so much more peace with himself and with others. In God's time. We did have a good discussion on the way home about spiritual things.

Sunday was busy! I went to my church, First Baptist, for my morning adult Sunday School class. We're studying Heaven and I don't want to miss if I can help it! Then our worship service. Children's Sunday School is out for the summer, there is a summer program so us teachers get the summer off. So home I went to pick up Steve. We went back to Eric's church in time to share lunch with them, then upstairs to the service. Definitely a contrast for me going from the multimedia, full music worship at First Baptist to the simpler, acapella worship at the Apostolic Church. The sermon was about faith. I think God inspired that for a reason.

The baptism was at the end of the service. Eric gave a short "Q&A" testimony, then was washed in the waters of baptism and became a new creature in Christ. Praise the Lord! After he changed and came back out, the minister performed the "laying on of hands" and greeted him with a holy kiss. Then the entire congregation came forward to greet him (and us, as we were the first to greet him and then were asked to stay up there with him.)

The Apostolic Christian Church is solidly a Bible-believing church. One of the ladies, on one of my earlier visits, described it as "Baptist doctrines with Mennonite traditions." To acquaint you with some of these traditions...

Eric wears a suit to church, as do all the men. (He said during his testimony that that was the one tradition he had trouble with as he doesn't like to dress up....brought a smile to my and most faces!) The women dress in dresses or skirts, no jewelry, hair long but put up, and a prayer covering on their heads. The men and women sit separately, though Steve and I were allowed to sit together. There are no paid ministers, though there are brothers designated as such. There is no instrumental music during the service, it is all acapella. Singing, then a reading from the Old Testament, then prayer and song, then a reading from the New Testament and a sermon. The readings and sermon are God-led, not preplanned. Brothers and sisters (members) greet each other with a Holy Kiss. Eric is now discouraged from serving in the military (though if drafted he would serve as a non-combatant) and asked to affirm rather than swear oaths. He also will not be "dating" rather getting to know young women through group activities. Some differences to be sure, but nothing that is not Biblically sound. To make this choice, especially when he wasn't raised in this church, takes a giant step of faith. I'm proud of him for standing up for what he believes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment