Friday, June 5, 2009

Stubbornness reborn in the next generation

How can two people who share the same genes (ok half of them anyway) be so different and yet so alike?

Eric is being baptized on Sunday at his church. Steve, as my faithful few readers probably realize, does not at this time share in the faith that Eric (and I) embrace. I am rejoicing that Eric is taking this important step in faith!

Here's the situation as I see it: Eric would like to have Steve come, but would like his dad to ask Eric about the plans and would like Dad to tell him that he WANTS to be there, not out of some perceived obligation of parenthood. Steve would like to be there but he wants Eric to ask him himself.

I've tried to be a bit of a go-between, but it's just not working. I asked Steve on the phone this afternoon if he was going, and it was back to the "Does he want me there?" conversation. I suggested he ask Eric himself if Eric did want him there. He still wants me to ask Eric that question myself.

Eric does want him there but doesn't want to put him in a situation where he might feel uncomfortable, knowing how his dad feels about religion and church.

I think Steve is willing to be there because this is important in Eric's life.

I'm in the middle, trying to bring the two ends together. At this point, though, I'm just going to back out of it. They both know I think they (either or preferably both) should instigate the conversation with the other. Whether either of them will do anything about it remains to be seen.

They are so alike in their stubbornness...

No comments:

Post a Comment