Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Anniversary!


Today Steve and I celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary. Picture it. May 28, 1983. Steve just turned 30, I was 22. East Columbus Christian Church, Columbus, Indiana. A relatively small wedding, probably less than a hundred guests as I recall. My dad had trouble finding a hotel room as it was the same weekend as the Indy 500, all of my Wisconsin relatives (including Dad) ended up in a very nice suite at the Holiday Inn as that was all that was left. A nice afternoon weather wise, and a great ceremony. Reception at the church afterwards, then Steve and I crammed into the back of our Volkswagon Rabbit (the only time Steve ever sat in the back seat) and did the traditional noisy drive around town. We came back to our house where he did carry me over the threshold. We picked up our luggage and left for Redbrush Park, about 20 miles south of Columbus near Seymour, where we spent our honeymoon weekend in a treehouse. Really, it was a little house built into the side of a hill, when you went out the back porch there were lots of trees and nowhere to go but way down, so it seemed like a treehouse anyway.

Anyway, fast forward 26 years. Last year, for our 25th, we did the circle tour of Lake Huron and spent the evening of our anniversary at a nice restaurant and exchanged some very nice gifts. This year was more low-key. When Steve finally got up (he's still on his forced "vacation,") I fried him some cornmeal mush, one of his favorite breakfasts. We then exchanged gifts - I gave him the mp3 player which he seemed to like (hope so!) and he gave me a rosebush and a new sports watch. Then I had to go to work....if I'd known he was going to be off I'd have requested the day off myself. Oh well.

When I got home from work, we went to dinner in Lowell at the Flat River Grille. Upscale, fancy food, very nice. (I had a partial gift card that paid for most of the dinner.) Then we had decided to go to a movie but had about an hour to kill so browsed around Meijer for a while. Then to the movie. I thought for a while we would have the theater to ourselves (Night at the Museum Smithsonian) but about five more people came in right before the movie started.

Then home and I'm writing in my blog before I go to bed. Not thinking I'll go to sleep right away because I ended up with three diet cokes (or pepsi's) tonight. Not a smart move when I have to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment