Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Sunday at Versailles


Sunday, March 29
I woke up early so I could get an early start to Versailles and avoid the majority of the crowds. I caught the first bus to the RER station, bought my RER tickets, and rode out to the Versailles station. While on the way, I ate my bread and nutella from yesterday's hotel breakfast, plus my last two cheeses from yesterday as well. The ride took about 45 minutes. Then a 10 minute walk to the Palace. It was everything I expected it would be - especially the Hall of Mirrors! I walked around the gardens - of course there were two caches that I found, then went to the Grand Trianon, which appeared to be closed, so I went on to the Petit Trianon. Yes, Scott, I saw the "Royal Crapper." After all that walking, facing a 30 minute walk back to the Palace, I decided to take the tram. These feet have had quite a workout the last week! Went back to Paris and arrived by about 1:30.

I took the RER down to the next stop and visited the Jardin du Luxembourg. Tried to find a cache there without success. It was a traditional Parisien park, kids sailing boats on the pond, puppet shows, playground, horse rides. Fun! Decided to take the RER back up to the Ile de la Cite and ended up at the Conciergerie and Sainte Chappelle. Conciergerie was interesting, but Sainte Chappelle was beautiful with all the stained glass. Then went to the Paris Archaelogical Crypt, quick visit.

After having a "jambon et fromage" crepe and a mango ice cream at Berthillion, I'm in a park behind Notre Dame using free wifi.

Tomorrow to Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment