Thursday, April 2, 2009

One last day in Germany







Yesterday was another great day spent with my son. We got going in the morning but ran some errands on the base first. Among our errands was a stop at the post office (package #1 home - mostly guidebooks and heavy stuff. Am sending a 2nd package home this morning after (trying) to get it all in my suitcase. Then we stopped at the gas station. Had a lot of trouble paying, seemed that someone else paid on our pump instead (no pay at the pump)so it wouldn't accept Scott's authorization card. Finally got it straightened out and we were on our way.

Our destination was Burg Eltz, an 800 year old castle set in a valley in the Mosel region. It has never been damaged or destroyed by warfare in all that time. Reached the area, parked, then had a bit of a hike downhill to the castle. We had to wait about a half hour for enough English speaking people so we could have a tour in English (they don't allow you to just wander around.) Mostly military from the area plus other families of military. Very neat to see. We ate lunch there (I had schnitzel) and did the requisite souvenir shopping, then we went on to find the nearby geocache. I decided to drop my remaining five travelers in the same cache as I wasn't sure how many more we would find. Good thing as we didn't find any others! One has already been picked up, I'm sure the other four will follow soon.

From the cache, we faced a steep uphill hike to get back to the car. There was a shuttle, 1,50 euros, but I didn't wanna be a wimp so we both made the hike. Then on towards Cochem and a view of the castle there as it was getting too late to tour it. From Cochem we drove along the Mosel, lots of vineyards along the way. We went to Bern Kastel, which was had a typically German square. We were in search of German chocolate for my many requests. Found some and it is coming home (that's what kicked my dirty clothes out of the suitcase and into a priority mail box...)

Then to Bitberg and the base annex there, Scott wanted to look for a shelf for his room. They were out of stock, unfortunately. We ate at a restaurant there, then headed back to Spangdahlem. We stopped along the way for two caching attempts, neither of which were successful. Getting too close to dark, I guess. Spent the evening on the internet and watching movies, then to bed (early for us) at midnight. This morning, Scott is still asleep and I'm catching up on what I forgot to do last night (namely write this blog.) My mom just tried to call me on Skype but since the room is still dark I didn't answer. Sorry, Mom!

The alarm is set for 9 a.m. and we'll get up and get going down to Trier for me to catch the train to Lux. City, then back to Paris. I'll be staying near the airport tonight and take off tomorrow morning for home. I'll hate to go but look forward to being home again.

There haven't been many pictures posted yet, I know. One of my plans for the train/motel tonight/plane/layover will be to edit pictures and pick out some of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment