Saturday, July 17, 2010

Good deed for the day

This morning, I did my good deed for the day. I joined friends from the Michigan Geocaching Organization (MiGO) in our thrice-yearly cleanup of a stretch of the East Beltline in Grand Rapids. You know those signs that say, this stretch cleaned by.... yep, that's what we did.

Arrived at the meeting point and was issued my neon yellow safety vest, my grabber, and my trash bag. We were divided up into teams and assigned an area. Drove down to our area, and got started.

It's really not too bad, we didn't find much in the way of gross stuff this time around. See something, use your grabbers to pick it up and put it in your bag. The East Beltline has some wide boulevards so you're not dangerously close to traffic for the most part. Makes you feel like you're making a difference along that two miles of road, anyway. Plus you get to spend some time with geocaching friends.

Some of our "interesting" finds: a good pair of leather sandals, an unused, still in packaging condom, a tube of lipstick, a sock, a shirt, and lots of fast food wrappers. We figured we had enough to go out on the town...NOT! No trucker bombs or meth lab discards this time around, thankfully.

Now at the nearby Panera Bread using the wifi before I head for home. And yes, I see the irony in my willingness to help clean up a highway when my house could use some attention. That's what my afternoon plans are.

No comments:

Post a Comment