Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New geocaches and a new outlook on taking care of myself

I'm sitting in the Lowell Library on high speed. Just came from church where I was working with my three cache series placed in the wooded/grassy area behind the church. Finally got permission for the placement yesterday after a month of waiting for the deacon's approval.

My first order of business was to move the third cache. Mainly because it was too close to the second one. Geocaches have to be at least a tenth of a mile apart, and these two were about 400 feet apart. It was fine for the kids when we did the geocaching activity this summer, but not for an official geocache. So I did some hiking around and finally found another good area. I put some new swag, a travel bug, one of my new pathtags, and a new log book into the cache, and moved on to the second cache.

Oops, it's still a little bit too close to the third. So I tweaked ITS location, found a similar place to hide it which worked well. Put in some new swag, a travel bug, and a new log book. Moving on.

On to the first cache. This one was hidden in a pile of rocks. On the way, had to go through some standing water on the trail, worst it's been on the three or four trips I'd made out to this cache over the last six weeks or so. Got to GZ only to find the cache gone. Not sure why muggles would be out this way but apparently they were. Since the water's probably going to continue to be an issue, I found a new location for this one as well. Only trouble was I didn't bring a new container with me. Thought about it, "just in case," but didn't do it. So will have to fix up a new container and bring it back with me to Awana tonight and place it. Thankfully it's pretty close to the parking lot so I won't have to walk far.

I set up the third cache as a puzzle cache. Left half of the coords each in the other two caches. Cachers will have to find 1 & 2 in order to get the coords for 3. Makes it a bit more of a challenge.

Have fun!


I'm being moderately successful in staying away from snacks and sweets this week. No, haven't had ANY. Make that very successful. The carrot I'm holding out in front of me is going out caching on Friday if I continue to be successful. I need to take a trip over to the east side of the state to pick up six counties. That will make one to go, Oceana, which I'm planning to get when I go to Gerber for outdoor leader training next weekend. Then I will have all of the lower peninsula counties after four years of caching. UP will have to wait until next year at least, I still have 7 counties to go there.

I know I have to get better at taking care of myself and drop some of this extra weight I'm hauling around. I may not have anybody else interested in how my body looks but I need to take care of myself for my own sake. Hope I'm not jinxing it by posting this...

No comments:

Post a Comment