Sunday, October 11, 2009

ArtPrize - Grand Rapids 2009
















On Wednesday, the weather had improved and I was finally able to make it downtown to see some of the ArtPrize exhibition. The organizers invited artists from all over the world to enter, and there was a $250,000 grand prize. That brought over a thousand pieces of art, both large and small, to Grand Rapids. In about three hours, I was only able to see about a tenth of them, but still had quite a nice walk around town. It kind of reminded me of spending time in Europe this spring, walking around and experiencing artwork.
I was able to post some of them here: at the top, the left picture shows a mosaic that was installed on the wall of the Grand Rapids Childrens Museum. It will be a permanent addition as the artists donated it to them. Next are two of the three pushpin portraits. Made entirely of pushpins. Pretty Cool. I almost voted for this one but ended up voting for the Children's Museum mosaic. Then next to that is a large piece of balloon art - I think it was supposed to be a jellyfish? Below the pushpin portraits and the balloon art is the painting that won the top prize. I'm glad I saw it when I did - I walked right into the building where it was being exhibited on Wednesday, but there was an hour wait yesterday (Saturday) just to get into the building, let alone to see the painting.
Back to the left side, showing a picture of the table and chairs set atop the Blue Bridge over the Grand River. Next to that, just to the south of the bridge, is "Nessie," our very own Loch Ness Monster, in the Grand River.
The picture below this entry is of the moose, made entirely of nails welded together. The other three top ten entries were a sculpture, another sculpture that was in the Grand River, and a "field of wheat" for which a still picture does not do it justice.
There was a wide variety of sculpture, painting, and other types of art, placed all over the downtown Grand Rapids area.
For $5 (price to park in the ramp) I spent a nice few hours!








No comments:

Post a Comment