Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy Birthday, David

Yesterday (October 18) was my brother's 42nd birthday. He passed away when he was 36, but his birthday brought back memories of the time spent with him over the years.

I was not apparently too happy when he was born, because there are pictures of us three girls taking turns holding him. The picture of me holding him shows me with a scowl on my face. It might have been because of my hand-me-down boys pajamas, I don't know.

But I must have soon changed my mind (and hopefully the pajamas) because my memories of growing up with David are all good ones. He was the youngest, and spoiled of course, but had a charming smile and could get away with it. We used to dress him up in dresses and wigs and put him through all kinds of (to us) fun.

His seventh year brought new challenges: a malignant brain tumor. I was in high school by then, and it was a stressful time for us all, but especially for David and for our mom & dad. Through God's grace, though, the treatment was successful and David grew to adulthood. He had some struggles along the way but met each and every one of them. He had to have growth hormone shots for years because the radiation for the tumor had damaged that area of the brain.

As an adult, Dave had his share of difficulties as any young man does. (I'm seeing some of that now in my sons.) Getting finances in order, living independently, getting a job, and meeting that special someone. Dave met who he thought was that special someone and they were briefly married. Unfortunately, the girl didn't turn out to be what she seemed and they soon parted. Probably for the better. But what do they say, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

Dave had worked for Sam's Club for many years but then chose to move closer to my mom in southern Indiana. He was working for WalMart in Columbus and was at work when he died of a sudden heart attack.

We all miss him very much. Anytime I see a hot wheels car, or any depiction of an Eagle, sweet memories of my baby brother come to mind. Happy Birthday, David...

No comments:

Post a Comment