Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2001 & 2009

I'm sure that many of you are thinking today about where you were and what you were doing eight years ago today when you heard the news about the events of September 11, 2001.

I was working as a day care director. We usually didn't have radio or TV on, of course, and it was progressing as a normal day. Took a call from my husband, he told me that a plane flew into the World Trade Center. Not quite sure what he was talking about, turned on a radio and started to get reports. The more we heard, the worse it got, of course. I remember allowing the teachers to bring a radio out to the playground and listen while watching the kids play. Never before, probably never again. But that day, yes. We tried to keep things low key for the kids sake. (Hard to believe but those kids are teenagers now.) I do remember one little girl, a few days later, telling me she saw a movie on TV about an airplane flying into a building.

Eight years later. Since I don't work on Fridays, I was able to participate in our Boy Scout 9/11 Salute. We raise the flag at the Gerald Ford Museum at sunrise, and stand at salute (in 5 minute shifts) until sunset. I took four shifts. My arm definitely got tired, but it was nothing compared to what people went through that day, even what my son goes through right now in Iraq.

God Bless America.

2 comments:

  1. Very proud of my niece...brings tears to my eyes. We had a lovely ceremony at Nixon's Library also. Several of my neighbors attended. We put out flags front and back...not much but better than nothing. You are a special lady! hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs back to you, Aunt Martha, and thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete