Saturday, September 17, 2016

Pink Arrow IX

Yesterday, I was privileged to be part of Pink Arrow 9, the Lowell community's annual event to raise funds to support those on a cancer journey.  My participation was via representing Gilda's Club as their mascot, Sparkle the Dog.  My first stop was at the high school gym for their pep rally.  Ali, a new Gilda's staff member, spoke about Gilda's Club and I just made an appearance.  Introduced by Tommy & Brook from Star-105.  That was pretty cool...   Nice to watch all the goings-on as the student body got fired up for the game.

After the pep rally, I headed down the road to Meijer for a break, then returned to the stadium.  Hadn't been to a high school football game for many years, and this one was definitely over the top, in a good way.  Most of Lowell's restaurants had booths there, and you could buy just about any kind of food you wanted to eat.  Price of admission was a Pink Arrow T-Shirt, all proceeds going to the Pink Arrow fund which helps those in the Lowell community that are on a cancer journey, by meeting some of their financial needs.  The Pink Arrow fund also is a major supporter of Gilda's Club in Lowell, hence our support of Pink Arrow in return.   After wandering around for a while, waiting for other Gilda's staff to arrive, decided to go back to my car and just change in the parking lot, so my costume bags could just go in the car.

I'd put on everything but the "head" when a staff member finally came by on a golf cart.  They picked me up (after I put the head on) and we headed for the Gilda's booth.  I spent the next three hours "Sparkling" which meant that I was giving high fives, fist bumps, hugs, posing for pictures, and just generally being an ambassador for Gilda's Club and Pink Arrow.  I had a Pink Arrow shirt on over the costume, so it got pretty warm in there!  It's lots of fun being a mascot, even if I did get warm.  And just the incredible experience of being at Pink Arrow - they have each football player and cheerleader play in honor or memory of someone on a cancer journey, and there is a walk around the track (which surrounds the football field) with the players and honorees.   The entire stadium is a sea of pink shirts.  Just incredible.   I left at halftime, three hours is the longest I've ever stayed in the costume without a break and I was done, even though I was having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment