Friday, June 4, 2010

update

Guess I'll call this an update. Things are better between Steve and I. Not great, but better. Wasn't looking forward to this last week too much as Friday was our 27th anniversary. Not a whole lot to celebrate right now. And with Steve's recent track record on special days, didn't expect much. Weather was too hot and humid on Friday to take the kayak out. And we were planning a ride the next day, so ended up going to dinner and a movie. Iron Man 2, wouldn't have been my choice but whatever. It was better than I thought it would be. At home, 11:30 p.m. by now, finally gives me a card (no actual "happy anniversary" from him all day. It was a cartoon card with two bears in a hot tub. Marriage is like a hot tub - I like being in it with you.
Now bear in mind that he doesn't really like going in hot tubs. So take it as you will. I had struggled with a card choice. I am one that really reads what the card says and if it doesn't say what's in my heart, it's not the right one. Finally found one that expressed my thoughts and feelings at this time. Kind of a "no matter what, I will still love you" type of card. So gave that to him as well. So much for anniversaries...

Tuesday was our first appointment together with Dr. W., the counselor that our family doctor had recommended to Steve. It was ok. Not impressed with his office. Ok, you don't need anything fancy but this was all torn up and just messy. And for me to notice messy says something. Plus he collected the co-pay, did paperwork - no office staff. He talked to us together for a while, then myself for the rest of the time, mostly we were talking about Steve though.

After we left we went home, picked up the loaded trailer, and headed out to Grand Valley. Yep, Eric has moved into his own (ok, 3 roommates) place. Nice apartment, hope he does well. He's more than ready to be out from under his parents wings, especially given the recent circumstances.

Yesterday was my first appointment with my counselor, Dr. U. After our time together, I'm certain that this is the direction the Lord wants me to go as far as counseling. Dr. W. seems to be a good enough fit for Steve, and we may accomplish some healing together once our selves individually make some improvement. But I'm going to stick with Dr. U. Definitely a Christ-centered perspective on the situation. Even ending in prayer.

Today I am sitting in the waiting room while Steve has his colonoscopy. Not fun for him. Hope it goes well. A blessing to have wi-fi, glad I brought the netbook.

Tomorrow is the Cub Scout event up at Gerber. We'll be having the kids geocache their way around Cub Camp, hope all the details get worked out. Caches aren't yet hidden so I have to get up really early to get up there and get it done. Plus our reserved GPSrs haven't yet arrived back in Jenison so I can pick them up. If they don't come today we'll have to do without them.

1 comment:

  1. Marybeth...good to see you post again...I've been worried as I check often. Good that you are both getting some counseling. Hang tight...you've had more than your share of bumps...but change is what life is all about. Love you always...aunt Martha

    ReplyDelete