Friday, June 18, 2010

Lake Superior Circle Tour, Part 6







Here's the scoop on the last part of our trip. We woke up in Marquette, had breakfast at the hotel, and headed down the road. Stopped in Au Train, Michigan, where I was able to find a cache in Alger County which completed my MiGO 83-County Challenge. It was an interesting cache in that the "treasures" were all polished rocks. So I have a nice polished rock as a souvenir of finishing the challenge. The challenge took almost five years, starting with my first find, in Mason County, on June 29, 2005. I realize I probably would not be finished without Steve. Much as he is not crazy about geocaching, many of my farther away counties were found on motorcycle trips, especially our three circle tours of Lakes Michigan (2007) Huron (2008) and this trip around Superior (2010.)






After the cache find, I knew there were two waterfalls not too far away. Yes, they had caches hidden nearby, that's why I knew they were there! Anyway, the first - Scott Falls - was just a few miles down the road and right alongside the road. Small rest area across the street, we parked and crossed the road to see the falls. The cache was still about 20 feet away and there was a small creek in the way. I said to Steve that I didn't think I should try to cross it in full riding gear. We went back to the bike, and THEN he suggested that I take off my boots and socks and wade across. He gave me a polishing cloth to dry my feet and back we went. I crossed the cold little creek and found the cache, while Steve took more pictures of the falls.






On down the road we went, about 10 more miles away was Wagner Falls. This one had about a tenth of a mile gravel path/boardwalk to the falls, which apparently was an Eagle project. Beautiful falls, unfortunately I couldn't find the cache.






After that we rode the rest of the UP without stopping, but just admiring the scenery along the way, mostly Lake Michigan this time as we were following the southern shore of the UP. (We'd done the short stretch from Munising over to Sault Ste. Marie before so didn't have to do it again.)



We stopped in St. Ignace at Big Boy for a late lunch, then crossed the Mighty Mac once more - again on the grate, doggone that construction - and headed west toward the Lake Michigan coast so we could enjoy the "Tunnel of Trees" road which is about 20 miles of twisty turns under a canopy of leaves. Very nice motorcycling road! Then stopped in Petoskey for a drink/gas, then for gas again in Big Rapids. Home about 8:30 p.m., after 2018 miles on the bike in seven days.






A very nice trip.

2 comments:

  1. So enjoyed reading about your trip with Steve...glad to see you both enjoyed your time together and worked on your relationship....

    ReplyDelete