Thursday, January 26, 2023

52 Ancestors - week 4 - education

 Just a note first - I missed week 3.  It was "out of place" and I just couldn't think of any ancestors that are out of place.  Closest I could come is my dad, whose ashes are (at least supposedly) in my stepmother's closet instead of buried with his parents as they should have been.  I digress....

This week, the topic is education.  Many directions that I could take this.  Education is important to me, as my career focus has been teaching.  The picture I chose was a typical picture for the early 20th century, all the students in a one-room schoolhouse lined up outside the building.  The posted picture is of my grandmother, Lillian Stilwell, and her siblings included in the class.  Schoolhouse unknown, somewhere in the Bartholomew or Jackson County, Indiana area.  I recently colorized the picture through ancestry.com, since of course color film had not yet been invented in the early 1900's.

Could I have taught in a one-room schoolhouse?  I would like to think so.  There would be a lot of organization necessary to meet the needs of a diverse group of students.  Anywhere from teaching the young ones to read to advanced learning for the older ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment